(I learned that) ~더라고

~더라고(요) is used when you talk about something you've learned by your own experience or from someone else or some other things (e.g. books, TV and internet).


Replace 다 of a plain form of verbs/adjectives with 더라고.

  • 하다 → 하더라고 = (learned that someone) was doing

Example sentence:

  • 진수는 음악을 전공 하더라고 = I learned that Jinsu was doing a major in music

  • 가더라고 = (I learned that) was going 
  • 오더라고 = (I learned that) was coming
  • 먹더라고 = (I learned that) was eating
  • 마시더라고 = (I learned that) was drinking
  • 살더라고 = (I learned that) was living
  • 만들더라고 = (I learned that) was making
  • 일하더라고 = (I learned that) was working
  • 자더라고 = (I learned that) was sleeping

  • 높더라고 = (I learned that) was high
  • 낮더라고 = (I learned that) was low 
  • 크더라고 = (I learned that) was big/large
  • 작더라고 = (I learned that) was small (in size)
  • 빠르더라고 = (I learned that) was fast
  • 느리더라고 = (I learned that) was slow
  • 많더라고 = (I learned that) was many
  • 적더라고 = (I learned that) was small (in quantity)

Attach 요 to 더라고 to make it a polite form.

  • 하더라고요 (Polite spoken form)
  • 가더라고요
  • 많더라고요
  • 크더라고요

Example sentences:

  • 급하게 어디를 가더라고요 = (He was) going somewhere in a hurry

  • 기린은 목이 길더라고요 = (I learned that) a giraffe has a long neck.

  • 큰 배가 항구를 향해 오더라고요 = (I learned/saw that) a big ship was coming towards the port

  • 그렇게 생각하니까 편해지더라고요 = (I learned that) I became (more) relaxed as I think that way

Listen to how 더라고요 is used in this interview clip at 0:39.


  • 생각하니까 편해지더라고요.
  • As I think (like that), (I learned that) I became more relaxed/feel at ease.

  • 편하다 = comfortable, relaxing
  • 편해지다 = become relaxed 

For more transcripts & translations, click this link, Ahn Cheol-Soo Interview: On Joy and Happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...